We had a Perforce repo that contained many directories for different projects. We migrated it to Bitbucket late last year, and I still have one repo with all those project directories.
A coworker was in the midst of moving things in to individual repos before he moved on to greener pastures, and now I am revisiting this project.
I really only care about version history for the individual files. For example, we might have:
- Windows/Host
- Boards/Board1
- Boards/Board2
- Boards/Board3
There are many times when we made a chance to add a message to Board1, Board2 and Board3, and also support to use that message in the Windows host program. As such, the Perforce check in history (and newer Bitbucket commits) will have a check in that goes to different folders that ideally we'd split up.
If my path was Development/Project/Boards/Board1/src, inc, etc.
Ideally I might want to make a new repo called "Board1" that has those files at the root. But I suspect that will break all the file history, since they are linked to a path/place rather than the file.
Suggestions on what to read up on in the Bitbucket/Git documentation would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!