I don't understand the Jira logic with regards to Stories, sub-tasks, assignee and story points.
If I get it right:
- A story shall represent a stakeholder/user value that we want to develop and deliver
- In our case a typical story can be about creating a new visualization/graph in an existing dashboard
- To complete the story we need to do work in the back end (data) and in the front end (dashboard, UI, visualization)
- Typically at least two team members are involved in completing the story, a Data Engineer and a Data Analyst
- To me it would make sense to create at least two sub-tasks, one for the Data Engineer and one for the Data Analyst
- To be able to understand the capacity of the team members it would be great to see the story points the Data Engineer and the Data Analyst estimates for their part of the story to be completed
- The Assignee of a Story is supposed to be the driver making sure the Story is completed, but does not have to do all the work her/himself, right?
- So why is it only possible to get see story points per Assignee of a Story? And not for the assignees of sub-tasks.
I think this is counter productive and does not promote working as a team...
Since this the above does not work in Jira we have created Stories for both back end and front end work, but Stories shall not be used for this, since completing just one of them in a sprint does not bring production value to the stakeholder.
It has also made our sprint reviews in-efficient. Each team member tends to present all the stories he or she has finished and then the next and so on. In the beginning of a sprint review a Data Engineer might describe all his/her back end stories and at the a Data Analyst describes all his/her front end stories.
So one of the back end stories and one of the front end stories actually makes up the values the stakeholder wanted. Not so customer centric.
Ideally I would want only high value Stories in the Backlog and Sprint buckets and I would like to see all the story points per team member to understand if the sprint has a number of story points close to the learned team velocity. (No I don't want to use Tasks linked to Stories, it clutters the backlog/sprints and I want to have the nice swimlanes in the active sprint with the Story on top and the sub-tasks moving through the columns)