In one of my client's Jira Align / Jira integrated instance, I am seeing a bizarre issue. I am still troubleshooting, and plan to engage Atlassian support, but wanted to see if anyone else has seen a similar issue.
My request to the community: If you've seen the following, or have troubleshooting ideas, please let me know.
Problem: For some of the Jira Stories, a Story and a Task is getting created in Jira Align. The Story and the Task both point to the same Jira issue (the Jira Story) and both their external ids are set to that same Jira Issue. Also, to make things more interesting, the Jira Align Task is parented to the Jira Align Story.
Following is a screenshot in the Team Room showing Story 61 and the child Task 30 having the same Jira Issue Key (External ID).

Initial troubleshooting:
In the Connector's Jira Settings, I double-checked the ids assigned to Story and Task, and they are both different and correct. I also checked the logs, and no errors related to this show up. Also, the Change Log (and the Audit logs for both work items) indicates that both work items were created by the Connector (aka External System) at virtually the same time (in the Change Log, the Story creation shows up first, but is immediately followed by the Task).
Another interesting observation is that this happened to a subset of the Stories (not all Stories), and also some "normal" Tasks were created from Jira Sub-Tasks as well.