I should note that we're on Jira Software SERVER 8.20.1 and are transitioning to Jira Datacenter.
I have an automation rule that is triggered when issues in a project are transitioned. It then immediately checks if the issue is of a specific type, if it is not the rule bails. This is great and all until I bulk transition 1,700 issues which are not of the issue type called out in the condition of the rule. So the rule is executed 1,700 times and then immediately does nothing. But still, this was 1,700 rule iterations queued up to process at once.
Is there a way to condition the trigger of a rule so that I can have it not be triggered for processing to begin with? Something like a trigger on transition but only if a field equals a certain value or some other conditioning?
I am in essence asking to be able to do "Trigger AND condition" instead of a nested condition check that only processes after we've already triggered the rule.
I'm not seeing anything along these lines in the trigger options and this stands to be a very good optimization that can improve overall system performance. I had two rules which fired on this bulk transition and it took our server about 2.5 hours to process the automation rule backlog. All because every issue "transitioned" but then immediately bailed out because they weren't the appropriate issue type. But this was a death of a thousand cuts at 50 ms processing time each. This backlog prevented other rules from processing while they waited for the server to get through the batch that were triggered all at once.
This could have been avoided if the trigger determined that the rule should not have been added to the queue to begin with by the additional condition on the trigger of the issue type in this case. I realize that by adding the condition at the trigger point this would incur a processing delay to determine if the rule should be triggered or not, but then the rule is either immediately either in the backlog to process or not which frees backlog space for other rules.