"Initiative" seems to be the most common issue type above Epic. So let's talk about Epics that are children of Initiatives.
I'm looking for a query (JQL) that will give me just the Initiatives that are parents of the Epics in a given project. For example:
- Initiative IN-123 has two child Epics ABC-100 and ABC-200.
- Initiative IN-124 has child Epics ABC-300, QQ-150 and ZZ-250.
- Initiative IN-125 has child Epics ZZ-350 and ZZ-450.
I want a JQL query that will list just IN-123 and IN-124 for project ABC.
A similar JQL query for project QQ should return just IN-124.
So this JQL is solving for "All the initiatives that are parents of Epics in a given project".
The solution needs to NOT specify the exact Epics or Initiatives of interest, but find them dynamically. So, for example, if IN-125 gains a child Epic from the ABC project, the query for the ABC project should now return three Initiatives.
I don't see a way to do this in baseline Jira (Data Center, in my situation). We happen to also have the PowerScripts and ScriptRunner add-ons. But I don't see how either of them can solve this problem either.
A proper solution should be usable by Project Admins. Solutions like the Script Console in ScriptRunner require a Jira Admin, and I'm less interested in those.
Our large organization needs this in order to scope Jira Plan (Advanced Roadmap) configurations to show only the Initiatives that relate to each team/project.