Last year, I brought over a Perforce repository in to Bitbucket. The tools I used managed to keep the history and tags, it seems. I then used a Sourcetree option that set them up with develop/feature/master branches.
I want to split this big repositor up in to many smaller ones. For example, if I had something like:
Firmware
Arduino
MSP430
ESP8266
ESP32
PiZero
...and I want each of those Firmware sub-folders to be a new repository, is there an easy way to do this? Initial tests look like it's possible, but it has the entire history of all files which makes me think all the files are still in there.
I'd keep the original legacy repository backed up in case I ever needed to go back to a commit which pushed things to multiple projects, but in this example, I'd like the Arduino repository to only have folders from Arduino down, and history of those files.
GIT seems tricky since if I had a commit that pushed updated files to Arduino, PiZero, ESP32, etc. at the same time, I don't know what that would do. I guess best-case would be the commit would be there, but the files that were outside of Arduino would just not exist in that repository, and be unlinked from the commit?
Thanks for tips. I've read dozens of tips and Q&A answers with various approaches, but none seems to be exactly what I was looking for.