For our production JIRA installation, I was following the instructions at: Installing JIRA applications from an archive file on Windows, Linux or Solaris
- I created a non system user for the JIRA installation files called: "jira"
- I create a non system user for running the JIRA tomcat instance called: "jira-tomcat"
- The "jira" user is a member of the "jira-tomcat" group and vice versa
- The "jira" user has a umask of 0027
- I've configured the user.sh script to define: JIRA_USER="jira-tomcat"
- I've granted the "jira-tomcat" user ownership + write access to the Tomcat's log/temp and work folders as well as the JIRA home folder containing the JIRA data files.
I've configured the "jira" user to sudo as the "jira-tomcat" user without password:
jira ALL=(jira-tomcat) NOPASSWD: ALL
Defaults:jira !requiretty
I start JIRA as the "jira" user using the following command:
sudo -u jira-tomcat -s ./start-jira.sh
My issue is that when JIRA starts, it displays a SEVERE error in the catalina.out file saying:
30-Sep-2016 12:35:36.917 SEVERE [Catalina-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start Unable to create directory for deployment: /opt/home/jira/atlassian-jira-software-7.0.11-standalone/conf/Catalina/localhost
JIRA seems to be working fine but it seems that the "jira-tomcat" user needs WRITE access to conf folder to be able to create the "Catalina/localhost" folder.
Is this correct or could the documentation be updated to advise that this folder should be pre-created before starting JIRA to avoid the SEVERE error?