In a project A if I update the due date of a certain task, I want this update to also be done in a task of another project through jira automation.
I work with JWM and I want smaller projects to update a larger project (portfolio).
Thanks
hi @Wanderson Ávila , welcome to the community.
This would be possible via an automation rule. The bit of data that is missing in your post is how the two tasks are connected. For example you may have a link created between the two or maybe a label, etc. The automation rule might look something like below, as an example. You will need to make this a Global or multi-project rule. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Hi @Wanderson Ávila and welcome to the Community!
This sample rule from the template library does exactly what you seem to be asking for. It uses the Organizations field as an example, but if you replace that with due date, you should achieve the desired result.
An important prerequisite for this rule to work, is that you have your issues linked between the two projects. But I assume that that is something you had in mind already.
Hope this helps!
Hi @Walter Buggenhout @Jack Brickey Thanks for you help.
I'm evolving at this point, but I still couldn't get the solution right.
I want to create everything dynamically with automation.
The scenario is:
I create a project A (which will be the master project) and this project will have 4 subtasks, for example A, B , C and D.
When I create this project A, I automatically trigger the creation of another project B that will contain 3 sub-tasks: X, Z and Z.
I want, from the creation of subtask C of master project A, to make a linked issue with the subtask Z of project B.
This is all because when I update the due date of sub-task Z in project B, I want to update the date of the linked sub-task in project A.
I don't know if I was clear in the explanation.
Thank you very much in advance.
Hi @Wanderson Ávila , this seems a bit strange. Let me try to respond to your points.
Sorry, I'm really having a hard time understanding can you use case.
Hi @Jack Brickey
Sorry if I couldn't be clear. I'll try to explain better.
I am using Jira Work Management (JWM), however, there is a limitation of the Timeline functionality, which is currently only able to display Task and Sub-task items. There is no concept of hierarchy in JWM (Epic > Story > Task), however, the Timeline can display the Task > Sub-tasks hierarchy. A suggested fix for this limitation is at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JWMCLOUD-111
Because of this, the solution I thought of was to create an Item Type equivalent to a Task, which is called “Project” (that's what I call Master Project), because, under it, I can create Sub-tasks that are visible in the Timeline of JMW and will be like the phases of my “Project”.
This way, I manually create a “Project” with its phases (sub-tasks). And from this manual trigger, I want to do the other creations and links automatically.
The sub-tasks of the “Project” will be linked to other sub-tasks of smaller “projects”, because when the smaller projects update their delivery dates, this will be reflected in the sub-tasks of the master “Project”, in the Timeline view . So, that way I can have a timeline view.
Example:Master Project XYZ - Business Requirements (sub-task1) - Development (sub-task2) - QA (sub-task3) - Deploy (sub-task4)
XYZ Test Project (QA team project) - Test planning (sub-task1) - Test execution (sub-task2)
In the example above, as soon as I manually create the “Master Project XYZ”, I can automatically create the Sub-tasks below it and also the “Testing Project XYZ”, which in this case is a smaller “project” that will feed the “XYZ Master Project”.
The date issue I mentioned is where I am having the problem in automation. I want, in the example above, to link Sub-task3 of the “Master Project” to sub-task2 of the “XYZ Test Project” so that when the team updates the tasks in the test project, changing the planned date, for example, this is automatically reflected in the Master Project Timeline.
Please let me know if it's clearer for you now. Thank you very much for your attention.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.