Archival Workaround
What if you don’t have archival capabilities? Here are a few alternate ideas to try:
1. Flag content and restrict editing
Add a banner or some visual indicator to old pages. Then remove editing capabilities so no further updates are made. (I usually do both.)
2. Export and remove content
Backup or export the content, save it in a long term storage location, and then delete the content.
3. Modify hierarchy or rename
Sometimes I add a character or word to page names. I typically append “x Archived” so pages are displayed at the bottom when sorted alphabetically.
If there is a lot of content, renaming is tedious however. An easier way is to create a page in the space (I name it “x Archived”) and move old content under it.
4. Move content to a global space named “Archive”
Next, some organizations create a global space specifically to store old content. Then prevent content creation or modification at the space level.
5. Apps
Finally, there are always apps in the Atlassian Marketplace to extend archival capabilities.
Do you have another creative content management or archival idea?
Share it in the comments section below.
Good luck with your Confluence quest and your Jira journey.
Back to Part 1: Introduction