Hello!
Imagine I do a little commit "B" few days ago. In that commit was file "labels.cfg".There was many other commits since commit "B". e.g now I am at commit "F".I want revert changes I made in "labels.cfg" in commit "B". I have another changes beetwen "B" and "F" commits in "labels.cfg" and I want to save them.
How can I do it?
Hi Anton,
You can! The command you want is <a href="http://git-scm.com/docs/git-revert" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">git revert</a>. If the commit id for commit "B" is abad1, you can simply run:
<a href="http://git-scm.com/docs/git-revert" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">git revert</a>
abad1
git revert abad1
To create a new commit that reverts the changes introduced to label.cfg in abad1.
label.cfg
Edit:
If you don't want to commit the revert straight away you can pass the -n flag to apply the reverse patch to your working copy:
-n
git revert -n abad1
cheers,
Tim
Thank you Tim! You advice helped me. But can git revert exact file/files and do it without "right away" commit? I heard git always work with full commit, so it's ideology is many small commits. Right?)
I'm not sure of an easy way to back out changes for just a single file - but you can prevent the commit from being created immediately by passing git revert the -n flag. I've updated my answer above.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.