Hi,
I am looking for best practice guidelines for using fix version. We have a 2-week sprint but a weekly Release. Should I have a fix version per spront or per Release? What are the pros and cons of each approach? My objectives are to 1) create release notes for every single release as they need to be shared with the support team 2) be able to give a rolling 3-month view to my executives of our Release Plan
@Mark Segall Thank you.
For my understanding, a fix version will let me see all the stories that are in a particular release which would work for me.
My Execs want a Quarterly view of all the Epics that are on the Release plan. How do I achieve that? Should I create 4 additional fix version for each quarter or use the quarter field in Jira? I am very new to this but looking for advise which will allow me to use advance roadmaps for reporting later on
Hi @salman.khan1 and welcome to the community!
If you're releasing weekly and wanting to report against those releases, I would align your Jira release strategy the same.
Sprints are just arbitrary time blocks. Sometimes they align to releases and sometimes they don't. Additionally, executives often don't (and shouldn't) care about sprints so tying releases to that arbitrary time block won't provide any value to those outside your team.
If you have scriptRunner, you could do something like this:
fixVersion IN releaseDate("after -30d before 90d")
Natively, there isn't much you can do. You could go the route you've proposed and create an additional quarterly release that encompasses all desired epics or use a query like this. Either way will have maintenance overhead, it's just a matter of which one is less painful for you:
fixVersion IN ("Release 1", "Release 2", "Release 3", "Release n")
Thank you @Mark Segall
If your Fix Versions are in date order (oldest at the bottom), then can use
fixVersion >= "Release 1" and fixVersion <= "Release 2"
which will include everything on those releases and in between
Hello, how did you solve this? We're also planning to release twice a week even though we're working in 2 week sprints.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.