Hey everyone,
Going through the documentation for the portfolio plugin, and I'm 100% confused. Let me give some context on what my program manager and I are trying to do and see if I'm just missing a configuration somewhere or what.
What we're trying to do
We have a program with three separate workstreams (WS1, WS2, and WS3), each of which is considered it's own project; and therefore each has it's own backlog.
So what we've done is create three separate projects in Jira, so we could create individual scrum boards for each workstream. Each board's backlog is then being managed, planned, estimated, etc... via the Agile plugin.
Now, what we're trying to do is the following.
We want to be able to associate those three projects to a single plan in the portfolio plugin, so that we can track and report the roadmap from a single view. This is proving difficult to do, when I feel that is what this plugin's core functionality really should be, i.e. tracking multiple projects within a program / portfolio in a single place.
Why we can't do it
There is currently no feature to import the three projects as iniatives into the plan we have created. This is extremely frustrating.
It seems that I have to choose a way to track, either via epics, or by initiatives. Again, for my scenario the preference would be to have an initiative / project's existing structure we built already, and simply import it into the tool which visualizes our timeline for us / adjusts as things change.
However, it appears that I have to create an iniative, a separate object from existing projects. I then have to import select issues (could be from multiple existing projects) and plug them underneath an iniative.
This workflow seems entirely wonky from my perspective. Add to that the seemingly out of place ability to build / stories from the portfolio screen, and you have another layer of unnecessary complexity. It just seems out of place here.
Am I missing something? Is there a way we can simply pull in our three projects so we have the below structure within the portfolio module?
- Portfolio
- Project 1
- Project 2
- Project 3
- Roadmaps for all three projects tracked here