Today I started using the Rapid Boards for the first time in our team. And I was quickly struck by something that seemed weird - our story point estimates on subtasks wasn't aggregated up to the parent story, hence I get the "error message" that I haven't estimates issue X, Y and Z when I select "Start sprint". This was obviously wrong, but I assumed it had something to do with a configuration missing than anything else.
A couple of hours later I'm quite baffled. It seems that estimates in story points on subtasks are ignored by GH. It only cares about story points on the parent issue. Hours on the other hand can be included if the user configures this for the specific board, but story points are ignored.
After further reading the blog (http://blogs.atlassian.com/2012/09/agile-qa-greenhopper-time-estimates-with-sub-tasks/) I understood that this was intentional, and that Atlassian doesn't seem to have any plan to include aggregation for story points in the future.
The team I work with is a product team. We have a big backlog, and we do not estimate the user stories when they are added to the backlog. The backlog is used as just that, a backlog, and we plan the sprints based on what is most important for the business at all times.
So how do we plan the sprints? Before every sprint planning, the product owner and I sit down with the backlog and prioritize the issues using business value. Some issues have been estimated before, but moved back to the backlog, while other issues are "clean" in regards to estimates. So we add a "decent" amount and await the sprint planning result.
During the sprint planning the team breaks down all user stories into sub-tasks and estimate them in story points. To make sure we are relatively sure of the estimates, we do not allow for a larger estimate than 8 story points. And btw - story points are only considered in regards to complexity not 1 sp = X hours.
After the sprint planning I sit down with the product owner again and consider the total estimate for the sprint vs. the velocity. If there are big gaps, we remove the issues that are the least important to the business. And we end up with a sprint the team can commit to.
This has worked quite fine for several years now. But it seems that Atlassian doesn't want to support this way anymore - I have to do something else.
It seems that it all comes down to estimate vs. tracking? E.g. that the user story should be estimated in regards to other user stories (e.g. user stories and complexity, 1 being bigger than the other), and that sub-tasks just as well can be estimated in hours (something we have been moving away from for 3.5 years now).
Am I completely misunderstanding something here?