Hi All,
I have seen some different posts and questions and feature requests for resetting the SLA clock. There's lots of different scenarios for resetting the SLA timer and I'm sharing mine and the solution I developed which could be adapted to help others with similar scenarios.
We have two teams using the one service desk. One team (TEAM A) looks after core hardware and desktop software, the other team (TEAM
looks after internal apps like HR and data reporting systems.
Sometimes, a request ends up with the wrong team, typically from the user accidentally using the wrong form. The first response SLA is 8 hours for both TEAM A and TEAM B.
We had situations where TEAM A received a ticket, picked up for the queue after 6 hours then sent it over to TEAM B. In this scenario, it meant TEAM B had 2 hours to do their first response because it sat with the wrong team for 6 hours of the 8 hour SLA.
This was not fair to Team B because they lost a chunk of their response time while it was with Team A.
Accordingly I needed a solution whereby one team could somehow push the ticket to the other team and when this occurs, a new 8 hour clock begins.
Because the start and stop of the SLA clock is driven mostly by workflow status changes, the solution involved adding new statuses.
1. The starting status after the ticket is created is "Waiting for Support"
2. I added three new statuses:
(i) Send to Team A
(ii) Send to Team B
(iii) Pending
3. I added transitions:
- Waiting for Support can transition to Send to Team A or Send to Team B (you can use conditions to sharpen and tweak things and I also include included a post function to change the custom field specifying the team assigned to the ticket which makes it then pop up the team queue).
- Both Send to Team A and Send to Team B transition to Pending.
- Pending transitions back to Waiting for Support.
(yes it is circular)
4. I built an automation which is triggered when a ticket transitions to Send to Team A and another for Send to Team B. This automation moves the ticket to Pending and then moves the ticket back to Waiting for Support.
5. I configured the SLA so the clock starts when the ticket is created OR when the ticket transitions to Pending. The SLA clock stops when ticket is assigned, commented on, transitions to Send to Team A or transitions to Send to Team B
With all this in place, the SLA clock starts at 8 hours when ticket is created. If a team does a "Send to Team A" or "Send to Team B" transition, the clock then stops. When it auto-transitions to Pending, the clock resets to 8 hours and it is effectively in the right team's queue due to a post function change to a custom field specifying team assigned.
Thought it was worth sharing - it's a bit long winded but the solution could be adapted and altered to different scenarios where the user needs the ability to reset the clock. Ultimately, workflow status additions are required.