I've researched using a Java plugin and using the Rest API as well. There seems to be more articles for Confluence than Jira. Based on my earlier work and reading, Jira and Confluence do not share the same architecture and as a result, do not offer the same development features.
I've found articles about injecting Javascript in Confluence but not for Jira.
I would like to populate a custom field using code. I've already prototyped data access with Scriptrunner but was asked to look into creating a home grown solution using Jira APIs. In Jira, can I use the Rest API to make a call to the database, return the values and populate the field with the values? I would think this is possible using a Java plugin as well but would rather inject Javascript to do the work if possible.
I'm looking for documentation/examples to set this up.
Thanks.