I've worked with other kanban boards in different software apps. I've been able to add 'doing' and 'done' within each column, but can't do this in Jira. Is there a way to split columns in Jira kanban boards?
Hi @Spencer Offenbacker -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
No, and yes-ish...
No: there is no built-in Jira feature to visualize this very common way of showing items on a Kanban board.
Yes-ish: one work-around is to create different status values for each, such as Build, Doing and Build, Done. One advantage of this for Jira is to better see the work/wait time...even though the reporting is not great at helping with that. One disadvantage is WIP limits cannot be shared across board columns to manage WIP effectively.
Kind regards,Bill
Hi Spencer - Welcome the the Atlassian Community!
There is a new app in the Atlassian Marketplace that can do this. It is the only one I know of.
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1224493/easykad-kanban-boards?hosting=cloud&tab=overview
Thanks, I figured so. Why would Atlassian not have this feature? it is a core practice in kanban, signaling!! Microsoft ADO does this, so do other kanban apps.
Thanks for that suggestion, John!
Good question, Spencer. Probably a design choice for simple-over-complex implementation. As John noted, there are marketplace addons to close some gaps. Other questions/challenges for Kanban features are:
I believe Jira started as an issue management product, and so things like Kanban support were added later, and so they continue to evolve/improve over time.
Agree. How do we get these types of questions/features on Atlassian's backlog?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.