Keeping the same sub-tasks, need to create new story for the subtask to live under w/o deleting and re-creating the story.
Hi Bruce,
You can simply "move" the sub-tasks to a new parent/Story. In each of the sub-tasks, go to more actions > move, then select change parent.
Hope it helps,
I want to do this as well. I created tasks first and want to assign to a parent. However I dont see "convert to sub-task" under more actions. Is that configurable or something?
Hi all,
I found an alternative.
1. Select the sub-task and choose 'Convert to issue'
2. Select the category 'Unclassified' while converting
3. Now the item is independent and you can convert to sub-task and map whichever story you want.
Hope this help.
Choose a parent to assign this issue to.
Why do I need Portfolio to change the parent???
Hi, thank you. I looked at what I was dealing with and the item is listed as a task and not a subtask, so I'll rephrase my question: How does one turn a task into a subtask and assign a parent task?
Bruce, that's really simple. Create the parent first (if you don't have it yet), then open the task, click on more actions > convert to sub-task. You'll be prompet to a screen where you'll be able to select the parent for that subtask, and it's done.
There is no ""move" menu in my Jira, and therefore no "change parent".
What permission is required, or... if the methodology has changed, how is it done now (Septemeber, 2017)?
I am voting up this although it is not straight fwd - i wish Atlassian doesnt change some fundamental features. Well found Rakesh and thanks!
None of the above solutions seems to work for me - There is no ""move" menu in my Jira.
You don't need "move", you need "convert to issue". Atlassian are unlikely to change anything here, because it's working fine.
Rakesh's mention of "unclassified" is irrelevant, it's just something in that particular Jira that probably isn't in yours.
I agree "unclassified" is not necessary.
From earlier comments I understand there was a "Move" and you just had to choose new parent (dated 2013, with 10+ votes).
A one step "convert to issue" is not sufficient, will have an additional step to "convert to subtask".
Still have to do the 2 step process to move a task to another story
If step 2 in not needed why is it displayed in the first place?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.