Hello! Sorry this is a little long.... but I have been trying to find a way to auto-assign a "Fix Failed bug back to a developer that attempted the fix and I found a decent solution. However, I am still running into a problem that I can't figure out.
What I am doing is this: I have a custom field called "Fixed By" that automatically populates the name of the Dev who entered a value in the "Fixed in CL" field. I then added a Post-Function to update the Assignee based on the value of the "Fixed By" field. (Fixed by "Dan" = Assigned to "Dan", for example) This works swimmingly for the most part, except for one thing...
Here are the steps that lead to the problem:
- Bug is assigned to Dev 1, and Dev 1 makes a fix attempt. The bug auto-assigns to QA for regression.
- QA Fix Fails the issue and it automatically returns to Dev 1 (per my automation described above -- this works perfectly).
- Dev 1 is too busy with other things to make a second fix attempt, so they pass the bug to Dev 2.
- Dev 2 makes a fix, sends to QA for regression and the "Fixed By" field automatically updates to Dev 2 as it should.
- QA Fix Fails the bug again (it happens sometimes lol), and for some reason the bug automatically assigns to Dev 1.
In this case I want the bug to go back to Dev 2, but for some reason Jira ignores the fact that the Fixed in CL field was more recently updated by a different person the second time around. I don't know if there is a solution to this... it almost feels like an unintended bug to me. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!