Hi,
I use my company email to login bitbucket cloud, I got this url for my repository:git clone https://johnsheng@bitbucket.org/wd-extend/sweden-tax-form.git
I tried to access it from 3 client tools1) Intellij -> my main goal is to make this work2) Visual Studio Code3) Mingw64
it prompt me to enter my credential, default to be my username (johnsheng, without company_domain.com), and I enter the password, and after about 1 min, it error out with following error message.
> git clone https://johnsheng@bitbucket.org/wd-extend/sweden-tax-form.git fatal: Invalid credentialsremote: Invalid credentialsfatal: Authentication failed for 'https://bitbucket.org/wd-extend/sweden-tax-form.git/'
How can I make it work?
The issue is they have stopped supporting bitbucket account passwords when using Basic authentication for Git. Below is the announcement.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-articles/Announcement-Bitbucket-Cloud-account-password-usage-for-Git-over/ba-p/1948231
Solution is, you have to create an app password in the bitbucket account settings. Below link has the steps.
https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/app-passwords/
Copy the password because you see it only once.
Then try to login from Intellij with the username and the newly created app password.
Thank you for your help.
I use "johnsheng@bitbucket.org" as username
and app pwd as pwd.
I still get following error
C:\>git clone https://johnsheng@bitbucket.org/wd-extend/extend-js-example.gitCloning into 'extend-js-example'...fatal: Invalid credentialsPassword for 'https://johnsheng@bitbucket.org':remote: Invalid credentialsfatal: Authentication failed for 'https://bitbucket.org/wd-extend/extend-js-example.git/'
+1
Hello @John Sheng
As per the Bitbucket communication, Atlassian account passwords are deprecated for Bitbucket API calls and HTTPS git activity (clone, push, pull and fetch), and are being replaced by App Passwords.
App passwords are meant to substitute your real account password and are designed to be used for a specific purpose and limited permissions. They can be easily created and revoked when needed.
If you want to check more information about the App Password, you can reference this documentation.
Please note, that the command expects the username, not the email ID. You can get the username from your personal settings. I hope this helps.Regards,Karthick S
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.