When the window "Connect to Bitbucket" appears I use my user name and APP password before continuing.
The I get to the window "OAuth authentication required"
So I click the button "Authorize".
Then a browser window pops up asking me to "Confirm access to my account"
I click "Grant access".
Then another browser window with the url "https://localhost:34106/?state=7e8761ec8d8544bc813bc1b434425e00&code=kwGbnV4HXNQPzhybqK" pops up, but there is no server on localhost:34106 to handle that request.
What am I supposed to do?
Hi @RM_TR,
It sounds like your machine may have a Git credential manager that asks for OAuth authentication, although I'm not sure why the error occurs, this could be a bug.
There may be some setting in the credential helper to use Basic authentication only. In order to be able to help you better, could you please let us know:
1. Since you are using Git Bash, I assume you are working on a Windows machine?
2. Could you please run the following command in Git Bash
git config --list
Check the output of the command and look for any lines that start with credential.helper Could you let us know what values are set for any such lines?
3. Are you only using Git Bash to clone/pull from/push to your Bitbucket repos? Or are you also using any Git GUI client?
Kind regards,Theodora
1. Yes.
2. credential.helper=manager-core
3. We only use Git Bash for clone/pull from/push.
Before I wrote I tried uninstalling Git bash and getting the newest version from here https://git-scm.com/download/win
For now we use the old way since APP Password isn't working. I hope a solution is found before the old way is removed as warned.
Thank you for the reply.
If the credential manager is the following:
I have reproduced this and I get redirected to a similar URL, however, the browser shows me a message that authentication was successful. What message does your browser display when you get redirected to the localhost URL? If you see an error, the best place to ask would be here: https://github.com/GitCredentialManager/git-credential-manager/issues , since it's the credential manager prompting you to connect with OAuth.
If you want to disable OAuth and use Basic authentication only, I checked the configuration options here:
If I run the following command in my Git Bash
git config --global credential.bitbucketAuthModes "basic"
and then remove any stored credentials for bitbucket.org from the credential manager, then I only get asked for username+password authentication when cloning, which succeeds when I use username + app password.
Could you give this a try and let me know if it works for you?
Running:
Worked for me.
The proposed solution does not yet work on my device, based on git version 2.9.0.windows.1
At which versions / credential managers is it working for you?
Hi Mat,
I cannot recall the versions as I have since upgraded Git on the system I was using, but I believe it was newer than 2.9.0.
I would suggest upgrading Git if possible, as I see that version 2.9.0 is quite old, released in 2016: https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/releases/tag/v2.9.0.windows.1
If you're still experiencing issues, please create a new question via https://community.atlassian.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/bitbucket-questions and provide more details about the exact errors you get and we can look into it. It's best to have a separate question per issue, as the root cause for each issue may be different, and a post can become difficult to follow if we troubleshoot multiple users' (possibly different) issues in it.
Confirmed. winget upgrade Git - fixed the issue on my device
It is now on git 2.37.3
That's good to hear, thank you for the update!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.