I'm trying to get my head wrapped around how branching works in Bitbucket for git projects. In git, a branch is ultimately just a pointer to a specific commit at a tip. So I've created a project with two branches, below:
https://bitbucket.org/musicant/testagain/commits/all
When I click on an individual commit, it has a field called "branches" that tells me, presumably, which branch a commit is on. I'm not even sure I understand what that means -- what does it mean for a non-tip commit to be part of a branch? I could conjecture that there is a descendant somewhere along the line that ends in a particular branch, but that doesn't work. If that were the case, the early mainline commits would have both branch names on it, which they don't.
So again, my question: in the screen for a particular commit, such as this one:
https://bitbucket.org/musicant/testagain/commits/4fe9d15bd4ee572a1700f9f593776ef27c2209dc
What does "branches" on the right hand side actually mean? How can multple commits show the same branch (such as master), when "a branch in Git is simply a lightweight movable pointer to one of these commits"? [git-scm.com]