So I recently played around with ALM Works' Structure plugin and think that it could be used to organize the business perspective of our backlogs quite well. What struck me though was how product owners could effectivly use it to plan sprints with it.
As I see it there is a bi-directional JIRA Agile synchronizer that syncs - among other things - the rank field and epics, but surely this is not sufficient to keep a proper overview. Imagine you have a deep structure of epics and sub-epics, where you group different functionality until you finally reach the Story level. Now a PO naturally wants to pick certain of these stories and pull them into a Sprint, but how can he do so effectively?
JIRA Agile's planning board shows all epics created in Structure as a flat list (that is not even filterable, but yeah, JIRA Agile's fault) and there is no other view - to my knowledge - where I could pull individual stuff from the structure to the sprint.
Are there any best practices I'm missing here? Do I have to create an artificial "Sprint" epic in Structure and pull stuff from other epics into that to have it somehow grouped nicely in the planning board? That would, however, defeat the whole purpose of having a structure in first place, because I'd effectivly destroy it with such a workaround.
Of course, if you know of an alternative to ALM Works solution, I'm happy about any pointers there as well
Thanks for your answers!