I'm working in Jira Server, using Automation for Jira Lite to create what should be a very simple rule:
- When issue assigned
- transition the issue status to In Progress
However, when I assign an issue, the audit log indicates that it tries to transition the issue twice. Why is this happening?
Detailed Behavior:
At first, the rule was just two components, the trigger and the action. It would return two status entries. First:
Success. Transitioned issues to In Progress
Then the second status:
No matching transitions could be found for issues (with current status):
IDX-2 (In Progress - 3)
Apparently, it's reporting an error because it can't find a transition from "In Progress" to "In Progress" when it attempts to run the transition a second time.
Screen shot with example of these back-to-back log entries.

To verify it really is trying to run the action twice, I added a condition: only run the transition if the starting status is "To Do."
Now it returns two statuses again. First it transitions the status successfully, like before. The second status is no longer an error--it just reports doing nothing, since the criteria to run the action wasn't met when it tries to run a second time.
Stuff I have already checked:
- I get the same result regardless of whether I create this action by "Selecting the Destination" or "Selecting the Transition"
- There is only one transition that leads to the status.
- I have removed all conditions from the transition. It doesn't have any validators. It doesn't even do any Post actions except the defaults.
- Admins, Devs, and Users currently all have permission to transition issues, to assign issues, and to be assignees.
- I am a global Admin and project Admin, I own the rule, and I am currently set as the actor for the rule.
While I could in theory leave it "functioning" like this, I'm not happy leaving an unexplained behavior in my production. So what is going on here? Why is it running twice?
(Edited for typos)