Hi Community,
yesterday I came across a case where I do not recall how the details are intended to work.
The setup is a workflow where on "resolve" transition a screen is in place. This screen has the system field "resolution" on it.
That means: every user that is to execute the resolve transition is asked for a resolution - this works for many years, all good.

The screen, in my opinion, looks great as well:

But it works only if they are doing the transition directly in Jira. Via REST API Call the resolution is never set per default (nor is the transition failing). The following example shows it better:
curl -D- -u $jirauser:$jirapass -X POST --data '{"transition":{"id":"5"}}' -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://jira/rest/api/2/issue/1234567/transitions
The above example will transition the issue to resolved state, however the resolution stays "Unresolved"
curl -D- -u $jirauser:$jirapas -X POST --data '{"transition":{"id":"5"}, "fields": {"resolution": {"name": "Fixed"}}}' -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://jira/rest/api/2/issue/1234567/transitions
The above example will transition the issue also correctly to resolved state and the resolution is set to "Fixed" as expected.
So, this is a more theoretic question (and if I remember something wrong from the past).
Understandable a screen cannot be accessed/used by REST API, sure.
But should the transition not rather fail or set a (whatever) default rather than put a resolution of Unresolved to an issue that is resolved? At least the behaviour seems not to be consistent with user interface (there a resolution MUST be set).
Is there a JAC on that perhaps? I could not find any.
Thanks a lot in advance!
Cheers,
Daniel