Old server: CentOS 5.6/MySQL 5.6/JIRA 8.12/JDBC 5.1.jar
New server: CentOS 7.9/MySQL community 5.7/JIRA 8.20/JDBC 5.1.jar
I've looked and, while technically 8.20 supports 5.7/8.0, could I technically get away with using MySQL 5.6? I'm not talking about MariaDB 5 that's installed on some distros.
I tried for weeks to simply use a MySQL dump from the running 8.12 instance on the 8.20 instance, to restore the server, but didn't work. The only thing that seems to work is exporting the XML file on 8.12 and importing it.
I am being asked to upgrade our 8.12 server to 8.20, in order to get an XML backup to import on a new 8.20 machine.
Is this step necessary to migrate from an 8.12 installation to a new machine running 8.20?
I was told there are some idiosyncrasies that an XML backup/restore from different versions would introduce. If this is the case - what are the problems I'll encounter if I do this? I'm wondering if I'm being asked to do more stuff than is really needed in order to bring up this new server. Our time is valuable, and if it's better spent elsewhere, then that's where it needs to be. I do not want to waste our team's time on this when there's so much else to do. I was hopeful an XML import of 8.12 on the new server was good enough. How do I check for plugins on the old server to get those on the new one, or will all of that be transferred in the import?
Thank you for any guidance.