I just got an email about end of support for passwords. I have one password which I use when doing git pull, push, and clone. Will I no longer be able to do these git commands as I do now? How will I do them?
Thank you,
Roger
For reference, here is a link to the announcement: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/bitbucket/deprecation-notice-password-authentication/
What this means is that Atlassian passwords will only let you interactively log into Bitbucket (e.g. via the Bitbucket.org website in a browser) as well as other Atlassian products.
If you'd like to use the API or Git over HTTPS you can still do so, you just need to create a new app password. It's really easy to do in the UI.
What this means is you'll have 2 (or more) passwords:
1. Your Atlassian password which signs you into all Atlassian products.
2. A Bitbucket-specific app password that lets you interact with the API or with Git.
N. You can create however many app passwords you want with differing levels of access (scope).
You can also uses SSH to push with Git as well.
Basically everything is the same as it was before, you just need to create a new password and start using that.
Thank you. Very helpful.
I am pulling my hair out with this change!
Your link doesn't work and the documentation hasn't been updated.
I'm trying to push to my Bitbucket repo using VS code. I've installed the Atlassian extension, but the extension does not have a 'push' command, only clone and pull??! No wonder the rating for the extension is so poor.
I also tried using the Git extension for VS code, but this relies on password authentication.
Where can I find updated information on how to do a push request with password authentication being deprecated?
I have also tried creating an app password to use with the Atlassian VS code extension. However, the extension asks for the repo URL.
I provided the URL without the user name: https://bitbucket.org/coetzerr/natisbooking.git
However, when I enter the credentials for the app password, authentication fails
Hey @seanaty -- I'm using SSH keys now to interact with the bitbucket via git -- do these keys need to change or does the password affecting the Website need to? I am unclear on this.
Also -- that link you gave out at the top gives me a 404 just now.
Thanks!
The link at the top is queued to be deployed.
If you're using git with SSH then you don't need to do anything.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.