We are in the process of migrating to JIRA. I am trying to find a way to use a custom field to tie JIRA to our legacy systems and processes.
Our scheme for issue IDs has historically been something like:
pppp-Tiiii
where:
pppp is a four digit numeric project ID.
T is a letter indicating the issue type
iiii is a four digit sequential issue number with leading zeros
I understand that JIRA will internally use its own key for each issue, but our team will need to continue using our legacy ID format.
When a new issue is created, I want to have the tool automatically generate the next number for the appropriate issue type.
I have found several plugins that can populate a string in a custom field, but they appear to operate on data that already exists in other fields. Is there a way that I can have a counter for each issue type that will increment whenever a new issue of that type is created?
With this field, I believe I can concatenate data into a unique ID for each issue.
Or, is there an easier way?