I am exploring Atlassian tools for my company, as a possible option to our own current SCM/issue management tool set. One of the features our current integration contains, which we don't want to sacrifice, is the ability for the SCM tool to require that the commit is connected with at least one open issue ID in the issue management tool.
I know that BitBucket cloud integrates with JIRA cloud, such that a JIRA issue will quickly identify branches and pull requests connected with a given JIRA issue by searching for the ones whose names start with that issue ID.
But how do you take this one step further and prevent the ability to merge a pull request whose name does not start with a valid JIRA issue ID, or (better), whose associated JIRA issue is not in a particular state?
Any help/insight is appreciated.
(Yes, I know you can restrict /who/ can merge pull requests, so that you could just train them all to not merge PR's without open JIRA issues. That's not what we want; there's got to be a way to make it work the way I describe.)