Scenario: I want to delete some large files from git history [specific commit #]
The scenario is, those files were added accidentally in a feature branch and later, I deleted them and commit again in the same branch.
The feature branch was merged to master and feature branch is now deleted. We have multiple commits and PRs merged to master after that bad commit.
As those files are still present in git history, they are consuming space in bitbucket and I am getting warning for that.
I was trying to find out a mechanism to delete those files from that commit#.
BFG tool is doing the needful but there are few concerns:
1. At any given time, we have dozens of branches open and actively being worked in the this repo. Syncing up all work streams to merge and rebase at the same will be extremely difficult
2. There are Jira tickets having commit# and PRs linked, and if we use BFG, that will rewrite history and create new commit #. In that case, we need to update those Jira tickets with correct commit# links
3. We have multiple PRs merged and branches created after that bad commit got merged
4. After the cleaning has been done, is there a way to prevent anyone from pushing changes from the old cloned repo
Please suggest if there is a better way to do, addressing above points.
@Theodora Boudale Do you have any tips for me?