I just upgraded from JIRA Server 7.7.1 to 8.13.9 on Windows 8.1 using the installer (so overwrote my previous version) and JIRA won't start. I read through all of the documentation on upgrading and did everything I thought I needed to do. I upgraded my Postgres database to a version supported by both 7.7.1 and 8.13.9 (9.6.22) before I did the upgrade. The upgraded database worked fine with 7.7.1.
JIRA is installed in C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA
My JIRA HOME location is
\mysoftware\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA
My normal JAVA_HOME environment variable is set to:
JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\AdoptOpenJDK\jdk-11.0.9.11-hotspot
Everything seemed to go OK with the upgrade, but now JIRA won't start. For 7.7.1 I had JIRA running as a Windows service. That service is gone and a Service for 8.13.9 was not added. There was no option that I saw during the install for running it as a service. Since it deleted the previous service I would assume it knew the server was running as a server.
I tried manually installing as a service and it didn't work. I can't seem to paste in the output from doing that.
Then I tried manually starting JIRA using start-jira.bat (run in command window as administrator), which also failed.
Here is the initial output from my first attempt at running start-jira.bat:
C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin>start-jira.bat
To run Jira in the foreground, start the server with start-jira.bat /fg
`sMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
:sdMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMM
`sMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+ MMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM +MMMMM
:sMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMM
MMMMMM `UOJ
`sMMMMMMMMMMMMM+ MMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM +MMMMM
:sdMMMMMMMMMM MMMMM
MMMMMM `UOJ
MMMMMM
+MMMMM
MMMMM
`UOJ
Atlassian Jira
Version : 8.13.9
The system cannot find the path specified.
If you encounter issues starting or stopping Jira, please see the Troubleshooting guide at
https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/jadm-docs-0813/Troubleshooting+installation
Using CATALINA_BASE: "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA"
Using CATALINA_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\temp"
Using JRE_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\"
Using CLASSPATH: "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\tomcat-juli.jar"
Using CATALINA_OPTS: ""
find: '/V': No such file or directory
find: 'JDK_JAVA_OPTIONS': No such file or directory
: 'version': No such file or directory
find: '/V': No such file or directory
find: 'JDK_JAVA_OPTIONS': No such file or directory
find: 'version': No such file or directory
find: '/V': No such file or directory
find: 'JDK_JAVA_OPTIONS': No such file or directory
find: 'version': No such file or directory
****************************************************************************
******* Wrong JVM version! Jira requires 1.8 or 11 to run. *******
****************************************************************************
***
*** Output of java -version command is:
openjdk version "1.8.0_292"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 1.8.0_292-b10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)
*** (End of output) ***
***
*** If you want JIRA to start using this JVM
*** set environment variable 'ignore_jvm_version' to 'true'
***
****************************************************************************
I tried setting ignore_jvm_version to true and running start-jira.bat again, and then ended up with the output below. Apparently there is something wrong with the scripts or some other executable that can't handle the space in 'Program Files'. That certainly isn't anything new with the normal install location for applications in Windows.
C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin>start-jira.bat
To run Jira in the foreground, start the server with start-jira.bat /fg
`sMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
:sdMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMM
`sMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+ MMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM +MMMMM
:sMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMM
MMMMMM `UOJ
`sMMMMMMMMMMMMM+ MMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM +MMMMM
:sdMMMMMMMMMM MMMMM
MMMMMM `UOJ
MMMMMM
+MMMMM
MMMMM
`UOJ
Atlassian Jira
Version : 8.13.9
JAVA_HOME "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\" contains spaces. Please change to a location without spaces if this causes problems.
If you encounter issues starting or stopping Jira, please see the Troubleshooting guide at https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/jadm-docs-0813/Troubleshooting+installation
Files\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\\bin\java.exe"" was unexpected at this time.
Does anyone know of a fix or workaround for this? Thank you.