Hello gang!
Using git
Context:
- I have a private repo that I shared (read) to John.
- John forked the repo, created a branch, pushed it and created a Pull Request for me to review and then merge into my own repo.
What I can do:
- See his pull request
- See his changes
- See a list of his commits
- Merge his pull request
What I cannot do (but wish I could do):
- Click one of his commits to see the diff
- Update my local code to his Pull Request's branch to test his code locally
My solution was to ask John to give me read permissions to his fork and all is working now.
However, this feels like an unnecessary step. If I have access to his changes and can merge them to my repo, why couldn't I pull them to my local code to test them out? Am I missing something?
I searched online but found nothing that didn't assume I already had read permissions on the fork. Please forgive me if the question was already answered elsewhere.
Thank you in advance for your precious help and may this discussion enlighten others as well.