In the past it seemed like a good solution to just throw more hardware resources towards a machine to make it go faster.
Now I've begun to notice on a couple of my systems that not only doesn't that work anymore it even seems to hurt the instance when you oversize it.
Using the following link https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-server-sizing-guide-975033809.html as a guideline it seems that you really don't need much to have a fast, good working system.
My regular machines often has 32GB of memory with a heap size of over 20GB. This just seems overkill for 100-250users and I'm really wondering if I'm not hurting the instance more than actually doing any good.
So my question, what's your experience regarding dimensions of Jira Server/DC hardware.
- Is more memory always a good idea?
- How big a heap size would you recommend for a specific use case?
any other tips and tips/best practices to keep your on premise system running the best it can?
I know a lot of things play in to performance, things like memory, cpu, disk speed, database system, reverse proxy, customization,.. so even a general "I suggest x or y" would be welcome!