is it still possible to inject javascript in custom field descriptions like in JIRA 6?
This documentation is just for version 6.4 or lower:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/fields-allowing-custom-html-or-javascript-720415974.html
Yes, you can.
could you please show how ?
put in the description like 6.4 does not get translate out to the final page code ...
It is the same way as in 6.4. Make sure your field description is updated in the correct field configuration. You can also check by changing the wordings on the description to test.
Also check your javascript to make sure it is correct.
I don't have an answer, I'm writing to find out why this isn't working for me in our internally hosted JIRA 7.3 instance. I have successfully used JavaScript with custom fields in years past (like JIRA 5-6). In this case, when I'm adding JS code to the description for a field in the configuration, all that's happening is that the code block is displaying beneath the field name. This occurs whether I add the block by starting with <script type="text/javascript"> or if I use <script type="text/javascript">
In either case, I just end up with the script block displaying in the Description area beneath the custom field in the chosen configuration, and no code gets executed. Any ideas on what might be wrong? I'd guess something in the system is set up to not render the code as code, but I'm not sure where such a thing might get configured. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks!
Yes - Atlassian are removing the ability to execute arbitrary code such as javascript in descriptions, as they're a security (and sometimes, stability) risk. It's not configurable.
Well...ok then!
I get that they're a security issue, no argument there. Is there another mechanism to accomplish the same effect? In my specific case I want to show and hide fields based on the value selected from a custom select list.
Since posting my question I've gone into the system settings and I see that there's a value for "Enable HTML in custom field descriptions and list item values". In our case it's off, so I was thinking this might be why I'm having my problem. But it sounds from your response Nic as though this mechanism just doesn't work at all now.
Thanks for the update, I'll try to find another method to accomplish my goal.
That setting will enable html markup, but not scripting.
As far as I can tell, the only javascript you can inject now has to go into the announcement banner. Or, you can use add-ons to get it in there.
Scriptrunner includes a module called "Behaviors" which allows you to show/hide fields at will. Scriptrunner also lets you define arbitrary web resources, so you could load various JS files in certain contexts. This is only avaliable for JIRA Server.
If you use service desk, you can use Extension for Service Desk to show/hide fields on the Customer Portal.
Atlassian has disabled javascript in JIRA Cloud. It should still work in JIRA Server, but Atlassian has stated that they plan to remove it.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.