JIRA version = 8.5.4, Java Version = 1.8.0_292, MySQL 5.7.33-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Everything was running fine until I had to reboot the server today. I haven't touched anything in my Jira config in months, all that might have happened is that an OS update might have updated MySQL, although I'm pretty sure I had 5.7 to begin with.
The dbconfig.xml connection URL looks like this (file is unmodified since a year):
<jdbc-datasource>
<url>jdbc:mysql://address=(protocol=tcp)(host=localhost)(port=3306)/jiradb?sessionVariables=default_storage_engine=InnoDB</url>
<driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
...
The errors I see in my log are those:
2021-05-05 23:58:38,269+0200 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.SystemDatabaseConfigurationLoader] Reading database configuration fr
om /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml
2021-05-05 23:58:38,295+0200 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.DatabaseConfigHandler] Trying to get encrypted password from xml and
decrypt it
2021-05-05 23:58:38,296+0200 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.DatabaseConfigHandler] Database password decryption not performed.
2021-05-05 23:58:38,556+0200 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.config.bootstrap.DefaultAtlassianBootstrapManager] Could not successfully test your d
atabase:
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure
The last packet successfully received from the server was 81 milliseconds ago. The last packet sent successfully to the server was 76 milliseconds ago.
...
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: No appropriate protocol (protocol is disabled or cipher suites are inappropriate)
at sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.<init>(HandshakeContext.java:171)
at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshakeContext.<init>(ClientHandshakeContext.java:98)
at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.kickstart(TransportContext.java:220)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:428)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ExportControlled.transformSocketToSSLSocket(ExportControlled.java:186)
Changing the JDBC URL to
jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/jiradb?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF8&sessionVariables=default_storage_engine=InnoDB
as shown in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/change-mysql-connection-url-for-jira-server-874744240.html brings up the server in "new" mode, i.e. it asks me to configure the database and so on (obviously I already have a database with plenty of Jira data in it)
I've already checked this, but don't think the solutions apply since they only seem to be relevant for older MySQL and Jira versions.
Any help is appreciated!