I'd like to understand what the best practice is for automatically creating customers in a Jira Service Management service project, based on their presence in a Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) organizational unit. I want this primarily so that they can log in to the portal just using their organizational Google accounts.
I have not yet linked Google Workspace to Jira Service Management, because I am struggling to understand what happens when I do that. This page says that all of our users will be synced. I don't want all of our users synced. I just want the users in our Staff organizational unit to be synced so that they can access the Staff service desk. This page indicates that that's doable.
When this is all done, Staff should be able to access our Staff JSM portal since they're in the Staff OU in Google Workspace, and they're logging in with their organizational Google accounts. Volunteers should be able to only see the Volunteer JSM portal, since they don't have organizational Google accounts, and will need to create portal accounts with their own login credentials.
So:
- What actually happens when I start syncing to Google Workspace? Does it bring over everyone, or can I actually filter it to an OU?
- Once I start syncing, how do I make it so that the users in the Staff Google Workspace OU are automatically added as customers to the Staff Service Project (and thus automatically can access it via the portal)?
- When we terminate a user in Google Workspace, do they lose access to Jira Service Management (I'd expect so, but my intuition has rarely matched what Jira Service Management actually does)?
- What is the purpose of creating an Organization in Jira Service Management? Does that bear any relevance to my use case?
We are using Jira Service Management Cloud.