hi
I have never seen APIs in CI lists.
why ??
Because APIs are not configuration items.
why aren't they considered as CI ?
What do think a configuration item is?
I got this definition from IBM, and I think APIs has the characteristics :
A configuration item (CI) is any service component, infrastructure element, or other item that needs to be managed in order to ensure the successful delivery of services.
Each CI has several characteristics:
CIs vary in complexity, size, and type. They can range from an entire service, which may consist of hardware, software, and documentation, to a single program module or a minor hardware component. The lowest-level CI is usually the smallest unit that will be changed independently of other components.
I would agree that the 'API' itself would not be in a CMDB as a CI.
However, I would consider 2 related points:
a) API-End-Points may very well be CIs.
b) APIs may exist as 'Products' since APIs have a lifecycle as well
Well, I've already explained why an API (and hence its endpoints) isn't a CI itself before. They don't meet the definitions.
API as a product though - I'd qualify that as "a component of a product", but yes, they should be considered as products. I mean, an API on its own is not a product because it's utterly useless without the thing it is an interface to, but it's certainly a distinct part of a product. (Just thinking of Jira, you've got Jira, the java API, the REST API, and then all the other bits - Java and REST APIs for Software, Service Management, Insight, Advanced roadmaps and so on)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.