I'm trying to enable the Jira and Bitbucket (Official) extension in Visual Studio Code, and I cannot get past the Authentication step.
Setup:
- Windows 10, 64 bit
- VS Code v 1.54.3 (the latest)
- Local PC connects to internet through a DSL router
- PC connected to employer's network through VPN -- but problem persists when VPN is disconnected
- Other installed extensions include:
- Remote Development, Remote - WSL, Remote -SSH, Remote - Containers
- C/C++, C#, Python, YAML
Following the instructions on the Get started with VS Code page, I'm at the "Authenticate with Bitbucket Cloud" step. ("Authenticate with Jira Cloud" looks the same. Right now I'm most interested in Bitbucket Cloud.)
With the Atlassian Settings tab open, I select BITBUCKET at the top, and then I open the Authentication bar. There's an Alert which says
Authentication cannot be done while running remotely
To authenticate with anew site open this (or another) workspace locally. Accounts added when running locally will be accessible during remote development.
The "Login to Bitbucket Cloud" link is greyed out and cannot be selected.
This is a new installation of VSCode on this PC; I haven't done much with it yet. What do I do next?
---
EDIT: I found a workaround. Now I want to know why the workaround works, and why I couldn't login from a remote workspace. I'll describe it in the first response to this question.