Users want to be able to view the native "Description" field and a custom "Preconditions" field while executing the test. Is there a way to add these fields to the Test Execution screen?
Thanks in advance!
Hi Guy,
Currently there is not a way to add any custom fields to the Test Execution screen in Zephyr for JIRA. I am going to add this to our feature request list. What this means is that our product team will review the idea and decide whether or not to add it in a future release. Currently this is only the second or third time this has been requested so it is a new item to our feature request list. The resaon I am letting you know this is becuase if our product team does decide to add it to Zephyr for JIRA it would not be a short term change.
Kind Regards,
Emily
Thanks for the quick response Emily!
I would like the capabliity to add a "Build Id" field to the Test Execution page. Generally, a test cycle encompasses 1 or more builds - it is useful to track the specific build a test failed on - and have the capability to run reports against that later. Please consider this enhancement.
I vote for that new feature.
I need this feature too.
I vote too! Preconditions is essential part of test cases. Please, add it to feature request.
I agree. In my experience would be almost unusable if you are unable to add a Precondition for each test case. I am not too sure how other people are able to write test cases without being able to add a precondition.
Please add this feature asap!!
I agree too. Precondition and Postcondition are important.
I'd like this as well.
Custom fields would be nice, but at a minmum it would be nice to see the test case name. (I just asked a separate question on this) Our list of unexecuted tests shows identical rows execpt for key. This makes it impossible to find the right one to execute.
This is a first priority request for us. Thanks.
I'd like this feature too, we have a pre-conditions field on test case creation and we'd need it on execution screen, Make sense?
Thanks
How about being able to assign a person to an Execution? You can use Assignee in the Jira issue but this covers the whole Test not the specific Execution.
Sarma, we add a custom field "Pre-condition" and we use it in every test case but we can t see it when we execute them, that s why we ask to see it on execution
Hello All,
Here are two current approaches to partically resolve this today:
1. Add any field to a Zephyr Testcase as a JIRA custom field. You can call them preconditions, postconditions... Have your JIRA admin make it and assign it to the Issue Type Testcase. It can be made on the create screen and view issue screen per JIRA administration.
2. I acknowledge this doesn't put these specific fields on the Zephyr for JIRA execution screen. We did recently move the description field to the execution screen. So you have a few places to work if you want to get this information on the execution screen today. These include a teststep you could clearly identify as a "precondition" instead of an actual test step. Here you would just read it and not execute it. Or you could put information in the testcase description field and label it accordingly.
As Emily said before, our developement team is considering adding the ability to put custom fields on the execution screen in a future build. However today - this is what I can offer as potential solutions.
Chris
Sarma,
Zephyr Testcases are just like any other issue type in JIRA. So make a request to your JIRA admin to add a "Precondition" JIRA custom field to the Zephyr Testcase Issue Type create screen.
I would vote for this feature as well.
Even the build number in the Test Exection screen
I'd also like to add my vote to this request. Ideally I'd like the same abilities as the existing JIRA search issues page, to be able to add any field (system or custom) as a column and order them through a similar UI.
I agree, searchable custom Test Execution fields would be awesome.
Hi All,
Thanks for posts! Currently Zephyr for JIRA does not have the ability to add custom fields to the test execution screen available with native functionality.
Adding my vote here too. We need the ability to add custom fields to the execution screen and make them required.
What's the actual status of this? Your response doesn't really give any clue as to what may actually happen. It seems like this plugin was developed a bit lacklusterly since I can't change fields for a specific execution. Does your product team actually understand the needs of qa teams.....?
Any update on this? People need this feature. Why is the test execution screen so limited in functionality?
Hi Emily. Is this feature request still being considered?
When we execute a test there are certain reporting variables that change with each execution, for example which environment the test is being executed in.
Currently adding custom fields only at the test level and not the execution level is painful. This ability would be critical, especially in making your product audit compliant.
To All...
Our team works with pre-conditions by adding it as a section to the description field, along with several other sections, and distinguishing each section by using markup (or markdown) editing (a feature that has to be 'enabled' in the description field). The description is always included in the execution view so the reference is available at the top of the actual test execution screen.
A little more detail... our 'Test' case/issue description field contains the user story, acceptance criteria, prerequisite condition/s, and could easily contain a 'post-condition' @Julien as/if needed. In markup it's formatted like this... with some basic examples:
The ' * ' above are part of the markup edits where *xxxx* causes a bold font appearance and '*, **, ***' add bulleted indentation. The <JIRA-####> represents the issue key containing the project abbreviation and issue reference # assigned by JIRA. JIRA 'really conveniently' auto-links anything with that format (at least in the description and comment sections).
While I love the JIRA customization we use and are developing... I have observed less OoB customization leads to:
So... again, we are customizing with success... but YMMV.
Meanwhile... our solution mentioned above is effective, incredibly useful, and rapidly implementable NOW.
Regards,
- Gray -
Hi,
In Jira we do not use Jira internal attachments filed but a custom field allowing to place attcahment in a dedicated emplacement.
So we want to use this custom field for Test type.
it would be good to have this feature
Hi Emily,
Having custom fields on Execution screen is a must-have feature and its absence tremendously limits the usage of Zephyr. We are evaluating Zephyr and ZAPI and absence of custom fields on Execution screen will be a huge showstopper.
hello, we too need our custom field "pre-condition" to be shown when the tester is executing the test as well as a custom field "adjacent components" that the person who is executing tests need to see.
I would like to add "Executed Build(s)" to the Test Execution screen, as said before, cycles can sometimes include a number of builds. This could be worked around by having the cycle name include the build, but this would mean many cycles being defined and would change the nature of a cycle away from a period of time or a group of tests.
So generally the ability to add custom fields to test executions would be excellent.
Specifically, an "Executed Build(s)" field would be useful.
This would be a great feature that we could use as well.
People need this feature. Please allow add fields to the Zephyr "Test Execution" screen
We're currently evaluating Zephyr plug-in to be used by a team of 7 QA engineers to manage thousands of test cases. It's crucial to know how many and what test cases were executed per a build. Unfortunately, after googling around I still don't know how to solve this challenge. Zephyr is lacking "Executed Build(s)" field on Execute Test dialog, the attribute important in test case execution. My hope was that I can use Comment field (either common Comment field or step Comment field in Execution) for that by simply entering free form text build number. BUT the problem is there is no way to search by Execution Comment field
Another execution field or just test field would be valuable - Time Spent on running a test case. This measurement is important in estimating time for various test cycles. If the community had same challenges and found workarounds, your insight would be appreciated.
I vote for that too!
Several fields would be necesssary for me: Build ID, # Samples, Rationales, Pre-conditions, Conclusions....
Also, it would be good to have some of this fields required for executing!
Has there been any progress made on this? This is a make or break feature for executing test cases...that is both the ability to add fields to show on the execution page and the ability to add columns to search executions to include custom fields.
Another vote for the critical field of assignee to test execution.
Preconditions would also be beneficial.
Currently trialing Zephyr for Jira.
This looks like a couple years old, is there a response from the product team? Will this be implemented? If so when?Has it maybe already been implemented in some newer release?
Having ability to add custom and visible fields is important, we may want to store such differentiating factors as environment as well as capabilities used for the test, localization indicator, etc etc
I would like this too. It sounds like an obvious feature. But we are two years down the line and I'm not holding my breath for any sign of it soon!
Same here, we are using Zephyr and waiting for this pretty obvious feature
Hi , @Thomas Krawczyk : This feature is now available in zephyr for jira 3.0 . Please download the same from https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.thed.zephyr.je/versions and let me know if you still have any issues Kind Regards Pooja
I second all of this. We need the exact same features.
Still waiting...
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.