One of my users wants Jira Service Desk portal form to allow customers to specify an epic link.
I am aware that Epics are usually associated with Jira Software and so is my user. I believe the use case is that a knowledgeable customer, who (presumably) has access to jira software, would create an issue in the portal and then associate it with an epic (presumably in a software project).
Whether this is a good idea or not, I found that I could NOT add the epic link field to the visible part of the form. I got a message "This field type cannot be shown - you must provide a preset value". I could add it ONLY if I gave it a preset epic link. This is true even though I added the epic type to the project.
Can you tell me WHY I can't add an epic link to the visible part of the form and/or how I might accomplish this?