I want to setup a repo that has a remote without the username and would prompt for creditials when doing a pull/push. Is this possible with BitBucket. Something like
git clone https://bitbucket.org/teamname/repo.git
Curt Gratz
I think you need to update your version of Git.
I just tried to clone a repository from Bitbucket on one of my Linux boxes with Git 1.7.1 and received the same error that you did. I then tried to clone the same repository on another Linux box with Git 1.7.9.5 and was prompted for my username.
Curt: I ran the clone command you list and was prompted for my username and password. That also sets up the remote fetch and push URLs so that they prompt for credentials as well.
Are you getting an error or not seeing this behavior?
Yes, I get a 401 unathorized. If i put a username in the url like
git clone https://user@bitbucket.org/teamname/repo.git
Then it prompts for a password, but of course no username.
Curt
Which version of Git are you using (git --version)?
What operating system?
centos 6.4 and git 1.7.1
Could you paste the output of the git clone command?
I'm not sure why it's giving you the HTTP 401 error, unless you already have some credentials setup. Do you happen to have a ~/.netrc file setup for bitbucket?
What's weird is I just tried from my mac with git 1.7.12.4 and it works and prompts for the username/password
Initialized empty Git repository in /opt/sites/reponame/.git/
error: The requested URL returned error: 401 Unauthorized while accessing https://bitbucket.org/teamname/reponame.git/info/refs
fatal: HTTP request failed
I don't think i have a ~/.netrc file
No problem, glad you got it working!
Yep, an updated git version fixed it. Thanks a ton for the help!!!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.