Hi folks,
just now I came across a situation where I'm not sure of what is the best approach. So I wanted to ask you guys how you are handling this. Here we go:
We have three (!) JIRA systems running, on productive system, one test system and one development system. Usually for any major configuration changes we do the following:
- "develop" settings and configuration that words on, done on development system
- document this
- ask our admins to use the documentation in order to apply the modifications to configure the test environment as the documentation says (two purposes: check the validity of the documentation and educate our admins)
- check the test environment if all was configured correctly, (let other users test this)
- modify the documentation and/or settings, if needed
- ask our admins to use the documentation in order to apply the modifications to configure the productive environment as the documentation says
- test on production environment if anything is missing
- being done.
In order for this to work out the three systems are basically identical, settings are "synced" (manually, beloved admins) every now and then. There may be minor inconsistency but that should rather be an exemption.
Now I have configured a super complex workflow and everyone is happy and pushing hard for it to go live in the production system. So I thought I'd be clever, configuring screens, issue types and fields, installing needed plugins (it's all done already) and then only export the workflows as XML and reimport it on the productive system.
NOPE.
While doing this I just learned that all status' and screens and steps and stuff is called by its ID in the XML. While I can imagine possible backgrounds of this it basically means I have no chance (ok, 0,001% chance maybe) of using this export/import interface for transferring the workflow as the is a 99,999% chance of either a status, screen or step is having a different ID in one of the systems.
Is there any way you guys cope with such scenarios?
Oh, in case someone is suggesting the workflow sharing plugin, to me this thing is a complete mess. Inserts new statuses (bad mapping), cannot handle special characters (ä, ö, ü, ß - I’m in Germany...) and so on. Tried this already. I'm on JIRA 5.0.6 (both systems)
Thanks a lot, let’s have a fruitful discussion 
David