My project includes 5 sprints. Sprints 1-4 are "development" sprints (each 3 weeks), where all config, dev, and QA occurs for a given story. The objective is to close each story in a single sprint.
However, we perform all User Testing on stories during sprint 5 (which is 5 weeks). So, while the story is officially "Closed" in JIRA after the "development/QA" sprint (and the story points have been allocated and velocity calculated), we still have activities/statuses related to the story that I'd like to track ... statuses such as Ready for User Testing, In User Testing, Ready For Delivery, then finally closing (again) as Delivered.
First, what are some thoughts on how best to approach this? I HAVE to close the stories at the end of each sprint in order to calculate velocity early (i.e., not wait until after sprint 5). BUT I want to track these other statuses.
I was thinking about using resolution statuses to track the status of a story after it's closed ... in other words, "re-close" each story as it moves from Ready for User Testing to In User Testing, etc. While that seems feasible, it seems a little awkward. Plus, If I do that, I'd like my Kanban Board to show those Resolution statuses as separate columns ... can that be done?
I'm really curious to know how others have solved the problem of stories that really should remain open until a Release occurs ... but have to be closed in order to get an early velocity determination. Thank you!