Hello,
I am trying to use Jira Project automation in Jira Service Desk Cloud to detect issues with specific Request Participants and remove that entry while preserving the other entries that might exist.
Situation:
We use Office 365 and Distribution Groups (DGs) and our users create issues by emailing the email address configured in Email requests, servicedesk@company.com (this is actually an alias/Contact for servicedesk@companyname.atlassian.net).
We have internal DGs for departments, such as Accounting with the email address Accounting@company.com. The Accounting DG has user1@company.com and user2@company.com in it.
When a user1 sends an email to servicedesk@company.com (to create a new issue) and they CC their department, accounting@company.com, to keep them in the loop of things, an issue in Jira will be created with user1@company.com as the Reporter and accounting@company.com as the Requested Participant. User2 will receive the direct message (outside of Jira) from User1 because they are in the Accounting DG, and if they Reply All to that email they will reply back to User1, servicedesk, and Accounting DG.
Because Jira is not aware of Distribution Groups it can't validate that User2 is in the Accounting DG to allow them to comment on the issue, so Jira just creates a new issue essentially forking/duplicating the issue. Sometimes with larger departments this is more troublesome.
Seeking a solution:
Ideally the solution would be for Exchange to expand the DG and replace the DG with the actual people in it, but I have not found a way to do that with an Exchange rule (also that's for another forum).
So, that's why I am looking into Jira to see if there is a possibility with Project automation.
I suspect that I will have to have an automation rule that will have to match all of the email addresses to our internal DGs. I realize that is a separate "thing" to maintain and I accept that.
I am thinking Pseudo-code version of the Automation rule goes something like this:
- When: Value changes for Request participants
- For Create issue and Edit issue
- If Request participants contains any of:
- my list of DG email addresses
- Then: Edit issue fields
- And Add comment to issue
- Comment to user explaining to not use Distribution Groups in emails to the service desk.