So I completed a new install on a new server, and then was attempting to move my data from an old version of Jira (probably version 6 or older). My first attempt was a direct sql database backup and restore to the new server, which did not work. Next I tried to take a backup of the old version through Jira itself. When I imported that the new install told me the data was too old to import.
Through some reading I decided to upgrade the old version to 7, and then I was going to try to export from that to the new version. During the install of 7 I got a number of errors, mostly around the .jar files, and now that version will not run at all. The service seems stopped, but I cannot start it again - it throws an error about the service being marked for deletion.
What am I missing here, or what else can I do to push that install of 7 so I can migrate up to the newest version? Should I be looking at the database backup and restore again? Will that work despite skipping versions?