Hi community,
I use a Google Account to login to my companies Bitbucket Cloud instance.
Now I want to query the repository list with the BitBucket Cloud REST API but ran into 401 response: Unauthorized. I've tried to query repo list of my account and also for my company.
I use Basic Auth and send:
I call the following:
GET: https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/romanwolf
GET: https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/<company_name>
Without authentication I get at least the open repositories in my account. But I want all (public + private).
What am I missing?
Any feedback is welcome,
Roman
Hi Roman,
Atlassian cloud uses google for SSO but your bitbucket password won't be same as Google. Hence, to use the API, you can't use your google password.
You can reset your bitbucket password using this link: https://bitbucket.org/account/password/reset/
This won't affect your SSO with Google.
You can also look into alternative authentication methods for Bitbucket REST API; https://developer.atlassian.com/bitbucket/api/2/reference/meta/authentication
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Ankit
Hi Ankit,
thanks for the reply. Reseting my password does not work for me (no email with link received).
I am already successful using the REST API of JIRA and Confluence using Basic Auth and Atlassian API token.
Unfortunately it does not work out with Bitbucket the same way
If I want to use OAuth as you suggested I need to register an app somehow to retrieve client id/secret and so on. Currently I have no clue how to do that.
Regards,
You can use app passwords. which are like API tokens in bitbucket. You can use it instead of your Bitbucket password in basic authentication.
Generate your app password here: https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/app-passwords/
Here's an article on App Passwords:
https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/app-passwords/
I already played around with App password, but it does not work out either. I received 401 Unauthorized also for Basic Auth with my username and my app password.
It's a bit mystique as it was fairly easy to use the REST API of JIRA and Confluence.
Are there settings on some upper level which might cause this trouble on my side?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.