I have been using Jira for a while and I've always seen that big gap. I think that after 10 years you'd have it fixed so now I have to be pro-active and report it.
I've create a video to see the gap.
https://youtu.be/l8LNKLcAOpg
I blurred it since the entries are proprietary.
The setup is simple, I go to a project, create a filter at the top, get issues on the left and in many cases, I get that gap at the bottom. I can still browse my issues on the left, but I lose access to the filters which is a big annoyance since once in a while I'd like to tweak that.
I can provide Jira with the original movie (no blur) but it has to be kept private.
Anyway, I hope that will get fixed once and for all within the next 10 years.
Below you ask for the version, it has happened forever. The first version I used was probably 4.x and now we're at 8.x and also I work with a customer who uses Jira Cloud and it fails the same way (below I copied the About Jira entry from the Cloud version).
About Jira
(pronounced JEE-ra)
Copyright © 2002 - 2020 Atlassian Corporation Pty Ltd.
The use of this product is subject to the terms of the Atlassian End User Agreement, unless other specified therein.
This product includes software developed by the Apache Software Foundation.
Made withby Atlassians from all over the world.