I am a relatively new user to Jira. I come from decades of traditional project development and software tools. One thing that is terribly frustrating to me is that there are no visual tools for Jira which allow quick network views of issues, and visual establishment of blocking/blocked by for issues.
This makes it quite difficult to use as a communication tool with leaders that are used to seeing critical path analysis and project managers that are also used to that ease of use.
I have to believe there would be a blossoming new market potential for Atlassian if this type of an overlay was developed. Both for planning and for communication purposes.
The current method of establishing blocking by memorizing task IDs or writing them down and typing them in, is rather, well, antiquated and wasteful. Even before the advent of easy access to computing, path and particularly critical path dependencies were drawn on network diagrams with pencil/pens and paper. Critical path very easy to view.
Perhaps there is a way to drive Jira this way already? If so, I have not found it.