So I have some cleaning up to do in my Jira instance. Now I found some old issue type duplicates because of language settings.
Basically what i wanna do is, change one issue type to another, and finally when no more projects are related to said issue type I can finally delete it.
Now from my understanding, an issue type is a "name" and a "symbol" and that´s about it. But when i try to change the issue type i get some weird problems. So now i had to find out that for some reason issue types are bound to fields, what doesn´t really make any sense from a front end pov.
Example:
I have an issue type scheme, which is linked to let´s say 3 projects. I wanna change 1 issue type in said scheme from 1 to another.
Now i get the message, that i have to update field values. (again i understand that it is connected to the field scheme but i don´t understand why) So i try to "retain" the values, because let´s keep the values as is, right? wrong!
For some magical reason, Jira is not able to just keep the values, but to change all values to 1 certain new value, even when i try to retain it.
For the case "assignee" i found the problem. Because sometimes e.g. in old projects there are assignees in tickets which don´t have the same role/permission anymore. So when Jira is trying to create the new issues (instead of changing just Name and Symbol of said type) they aren´t "available" so to say.
But what reason, prevents Jira to just retain the same field values? I mean Value = x right? so plz keep x in new field aswell and keep y = y.
How is this so hard, or am i missing anything here?
greetings