After the hosting OS security patch, we keep getting this sun.awt.X11FontManager missing error. I tried to reinstall openJDK. The problem still exist after reinstall openJDK.
@Vu Tran Most likely you are missing the font package. If you are using Linux like OS
See the how to do it here Jira Server 7.13 or later fails with FontConfiguration error when installing on Linux operating systems
Kind regards,
Moses
Hi Moses:
Thanks again for that post. I previously saw the same post and did confirmed that fontconfig was installed.
Also I tried to reinstall it in case the system updates had to break the dependencies to resolve the conflicts. The issue still persists, however.
Vu Tran
Hi Vu,
Could you let me know what specific OS you are running here (Windows, Mac, Linux)? As well as which specific version (Windows 2012, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Mac 10.15.6?) And what version of that OS you were running before AND after this upgrade?
I'd also be curious to know what version of Jira server this is. I would like to try to recreate this problem so that I can better understand the scope and depth of this problem. By itself, that error does not tell me much.
Where do you see that error? In the logs? In the Jira webpage somewhere?
What functionality of Jira appears to be affected by this?
Please let me know.
Andy
Hi Andy:
The OS we are running JIRA on is SUSE 15 SP1.
The security patch we applied had conflict with the following libraries:
- libyui-qt-pk8
- libyui-ncurses-pkg8
- libzypp.so
We had to break the dependencies to install the patch. After that, the health check issue related to X11FontManager start to appear. Also, these caused the page layout to display incorrectly.
Thanks again for your help.
-Vu Tran
Please see attached for the imaged issue in the Instance health checks. The layout issue occurs when I went to view the Dashboards and Projects. Also, we ran Jira Software 8.6, so my thought was to upgrade to Jira Software 8.11 might fix the issue. After the upgrade, the layout issue seemed to be corrected itself; however, the "X11FontManager" class initialization issue is still persisted.
Thank you and please let me know if you need any other information.
Hi,
I found a few other support cases that have this same error. It appears that the operating system update could also be updating the version of Java (or OpenJDK) that the system is running. In at least two other cases, I found that this error happened for users that updated from openjdk version
java-11-openjdk-1:11.0.6.10-3.el7.x86_64java-11-openjdk-headless-1:11.0.6.10-3.el7.x86_64tojava-11-openjdk-1:11.0.7.10-4.el7_8.x86_64java-11-openjdk-headless-1:11.0.7.10-4.el7_8.x86_64
Right now, the suggestion has been to install the previous version of openjdk here, and set that as the JAVA_HOME. Once you do that, you should be able to restart Jira to correct this problem. There are steps on how you can do this in How to run Jira Server on AdoptOpenJDK.
Alternatively, you might be able to follow the steps in Font display problem in gadgets and database monitoring graph in Jira server in order to manually install the needed fonts. I believe that either method could correct this problem.
Let me know if you run into problems with either of these.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.