I wanted to change the closed status of a project's issues from A -> B, but made a mistake where I wiped out all of the resolutions that were set (on 1900+ issues). I know the mistake made, but now to recover the best I can.
Initially, I wrote a Jira Python script that will iterate over all affected issues, search each issue's history to find the resolution it had before "the great wiping" this afternoon, then use update to set the issue's resolution to what it was most recently. After running this on about 50 test issues, I noticed there was a problem: the test issues have their nicely reset resolution set, but no resolutiondate field set.
I went back into jirashell to try to figure out how to set the resolutiondate, but no luck:
text: Field 'resolutiondate' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.
Searching around, it seems that I might not be able to do it with a simple Jira Python script. (Well, maybe I could if I combine it with a connection directly to the Jira database to feed it SQL updates based on the history.created value of the appropriate history item, but that feels like it might be removing one too many safeties.)
I suspect I'll have some success if I transition the affected issues from B -> B and setting the resolution in the transition, but I'd like to avoid putting them through another transition again.
Any suggestions? Should I suck it up and go down the reflexive transition path or would there be another way to recover these resolutions and resolutiondates?
(This is for Jira 7.9.0, not the version I mistakenly gave on the right and now can't edit.)